First I want to thank everyone who came out and voted. As you may or may not know I have been elected to represent you as IFD District president for L416 starting 2015. I want to introduce myself to those of you who don’t know me. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns or ideas. My cell number is (317)332-8549. Call, Text, email, whatever, just know I’m available if needed.
HANK HARRIS – IFD 2015 District President
My name Henry Harris most people call me Hank, either is fine with me. I am the Lieutenant on Squad 10 on the A-shift. I will have completed my 10th year this coming February. I have sat on the Safety Committee for the past 3 years. I am a second generation IFD firefighter and absolutely LOVE this job. Even on the bad days I truly believe it’s still the best job in the world. Now as far as the Union, this is my first endeavor into this side of the job. With that being said I want to personally invite all of you to come down to a meeting every once in a while. I understand life gets busy and the meetings aren’t always entertaining, but come down sit through the meeting, bring up stuff, and then hang out and swap some stories.
COREY ARNOLD – IFD 2015 District Trustee
I also would like to introduce your new IFD District Trustee, Corey Arnold. Corey was hired in February of 2005 like myself. He currently is assigned to L31 on the B-shift and is a back up Arson Investigator. Cory currently is the President of the BFA, and has sat on numerous committees for IFD. He is a PFT, STO, FDIC Instructor and Safety Officer.
JORDAN MCLINN – Honorary Probationary Firefighter
There is one more introduction I need to make. I would also like to introduce everyone to our newest IFD firefighter, Prob. Jordan McLinn. As many of you may or may not know Jordan is a young boy who recently learned on Christmas he had received a conditional offer of employment from Chief Malone. Yesterday he reported to Station 13 for his first day. I would like to thank Capt. Robinson and the whole crew at Station 13 B-shift for allowing this to happen. Reading the story it reminded me how lucky we all are to have a job that most boys growing up dream of having.
UPDATE – Labor Management Agreement
Now on to the update. We met with the Administration yesterday (January 8, 2015) and here is what was discussed:
- Apparatus Replacement Plan – Administration is planning to introduce a plan for Council approval that will put us on a 10 year replacement plan. If approved this will ensure that going forward we will have no frontline apparatus over 10 years old.
- Station Replacement Plan – Administration is working on a plan to start a station replacement plan due to the age of the majority of IFD stations.
- Hiring Process – The hiring process is moving to the next phase. The applicants are scheduled to be taking the written test later this month. The hope is to hire 30.
- Promotion Process – The Merit Board has approved the changes to the Merit Law, we are currently waiting for the changes to the Merit Law to be approved by the Council. Admin is hoping this will be done by the end of the month. After this we can move forward with the process.
- Battalion XO’s – As of this month these spots will become Captain positions. No current XO will be removed from their current position at this time. The current XO’s will have 3 years to get promoted to Captain. If a vacancy occurs at an XO position starting this month it will be filled by a Merit Captain. The Captain XO will then move over and act as the Chief when the Chief is off.
- Air Program Manager/Compliance Officers – Interviews will be scheduled shortly for both of these positions.
- Pinning Ceremony for Longevity – There will be an annual pinning ceremony for longevity service pins. This will start with 20 years of service and then every 5 years after that. This will take place the first week of February annually. The first being Feb. 5, 2015 at the Hall.
- Headquarters and Station 07 – Construction is progressing. See the latest photos.
- Accreditation – The Administration’s plan is to become Nationally Accredited. There is a lot that goes into this which will take some time. This is long-term plan.
- January 20, 7pm-8pm – L416 General Meeting @ the Union Hall
- January 21, 9am-10am – L416 General Meeting @ the Union Hall
- January 21, 5pm-7pm – 1st Quarter Chief’s Conversation @ the Union Hall
- January 22, 0830-1030 – 1st Quarter Chief’s Conversation
- January 23, 6pm-10pm – IFD Awards Banquet (Contact Pat Wilmouth at the Credit Union for tickets)
- February 5 – IFD Longevity Pinning Ceremony
My cell number is (317)332-8549. Call, Text, email, whatever, just know I’m available if needed. Be safe and hope to see you around.